Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 13:35:13 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        "D. W. Piper" <dwplists@loop.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interface alias accounting?

On May 22, 2000, jesse reynolds sent me the following:
> On Fri, 19 May 2000, Chip Marshall wrote:
> > On May 19, 2000, D. W. Piper sent me the following:
> > > I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused though.  I thought I'd recently seen
> > > mention here of a relatively simple method that would allow netstat to
> > > show the specific packet counts for each IP address assigned to the
> > > interface, as opposed to showing the interface total for them all.
> >
> > I'm not sure if someone else already mentioned this, but you could
> > setup ipfw rules for each of the IP addresses you wanted to watch,
> > something along the lines of:
>
> `netstat -i`
>
> is probably what you're talking about, yes?

No, that is precisely what I am not talking about. netstat -i will
only show you the input/output packets/bytes/errors for the interface.
I believe what the original poster was trying to do is see traffic per
IP alias, which netstat -i does not do. (It does show you a line for
each alias, but note how all the numbers are the same...)

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--