Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 20:12:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mail Handling Tools

I think I have been here before.

I don't have a clear idea of what mail tool(s) I should be using.

Here is my situation.

I have a ppp connection to netcom.  Mail messages are held on the
netcom server until I down load them.  I have been using Netscape
3.xx.  Today, I lost the same outgoing mail twice!  I could not
recreate it the second time.  So, I really lost something.  This is
the last straw.  So, I am looking for a replacement.

I receive about 100 messages per day.  I reply to about 15.  I keep an
average of 100 messages on file, cleaning out once per month, or so.
I like keeping track of sent messages and refer to them almost daily.
I have used emacs for reading news and messages on a system that had a
permanent network connection.  Emacs seemed to work fine.  I can keep
messages in folders, etc...

I can use mail for outgoing messages, with no problem.  It was a
little tricky getting the return address correct.  That is solved .  I
use emacs as a text editor.  I am preparing this message with emacs.

To use emacs, I need some daemon to fetch mail from the netcom pop3
server.  I want the daemon to check for mail at some configurable
time, fetch messages, and notify me.  The daemon should tolerate the
ppp connection being down.

What are your preferences?  What is the best for this?

Thanks,
tomdean