Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:39:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 16:11:25 -0800, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> >What people are resisting is that the FreeBSD project, whose volunteers
> >are already chronically overworked, should do this finding and
> >organising for you.   What is *annoying* people is that this has been
> >said to you at least five or six times already, and you appear to have
> >either ignored or simply failed to understand it.
>
> You're just not getting it, because you're still thinking small.

NO, we are just thinking :) I for one would probably loose interest
if the project went into a more corporate style, with money being
the item that decides what to do and what not. I get plenty of that
at work thankyou. You should realize that the driving force behind
the project is that we do this FOR FUN, and because it makes us
feel good to work on a free project that can turn out software,
that is as good if not better than the big commercial entities.

If I wanted to do it for the money, I wouldn't be here, I'd spend
all my time consulting, and pile up the bucks :)
But for some of us money isn't the main issue, its the challenge
to do what we do, its the reward of seeing that your ideas/work
is being used worldwide.

That being said, we must realize that most of us are buzy & over-
worked, and only has so much left to put into the project.
The solution to this is that donations might buy some of the
developers time to work on FreeBSD, but still be able to by
pizza, diapers and what else is nessesary to sustain life.

> I'm not asking volunteers to do anything.  I'm proposing a model which
> may *possibly* attract enough money to create an organization which
> can affort to hire administrators to handle those chores, and pay the
> coders for what they do best.
>
> Think in terms of a $10,000,000 (or more) budget per year and you will
> begin to see the light.

That would be turning a volounteer project into a real business.
I think that would be fatal to the project as alot of people would
just run away screaming....
If you want a commercial BSD, go for BSDi....