Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 07:25:44 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does the patching procedure work?

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 05:24:12AM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:
> I'm answering my own message here; I've discovered that I was attempting the
> test from the wrong directory. The patch actually did take on the machine
> in question. However, I do have another question. On another 4.7 machine,
> I saw
> the following when applying the patch:
> 5 out of 18 hunks failed--saving rejects to contrib/sendmail/src/headers.c.rej

> Why did the hunks fail?

I don't know.
You have local modifications?  That is not a RELENG_4_7 source tree?
Perhaps

    % cd /usr/src && cvs diff -c -r RELENG_4_7_0_RELEASE contrib/sendmail

will give a clue (although you must restore the `.orig' files left
over from the previous patching attempt).

> Will the patch work?

No, I don't think you should have any confidence that things are OK.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <nectar@celabo.org>          http://www.celabo.org/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos