Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 07:45:12 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        john.saunders@scitec.com.au (John Saunders)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

> You might want to be running a kernel that groks ELF with ELF shared
> libraries installed before you do a make world. Otherwise I can see a
> point where you overwrite an a.out program that is needed to complete
> the make world. Is 3.0 going to be like Linux and understand both
> executable formats? Will the make world build both ELF and a.out
> shared libraries? Or will a.out basically die off?

As the "director" of the ELF project, I can tell you that we will do
our utmost to make this transition easy and painless. All the needed
utils will be broght in over the next week or so, and then it will
be made possible to convert the userland to ELF. It will still be
possible to use aout, and the system default will probably be aout
for some time to come.
The kernel is another matter, which we will address after the userlanc
transition.