Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 01:41:37 GMT
From:      James Raynard <jraynard@dial.pipex.com>
To:        topw@tiac.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: help!

> ok - I managed to get the minimal binaries up by ftp'ing to a win95 machine and carrying floppies to the
> machine on the kitchen table. Now I have the manpages.* files and want to install from floppy so I can proceed
> from there. How? An alternative is to use my dos/win95 machine to read docs for now. What is the best doc
> package for that purpose? I do have browsers,converters,etc.

Put the floppy in your FreeBSD machine and do:-

# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt
# cp /mnt/manpages.* /tmp
# umount /mnt				# may need to repeat if > 1 floppy
# cd /
# cat /tmp/manpages.* | tar tvzf -	# This will display without installing
# cat /tmp/manpages.* | tar xvzf -	# To install the man pages

I would also recommend installing the info distribution (info.*).

There's some very useful documentation in HTML format:-

/usr/share/doc/FAQ/*.html
/usr/share/doc/handbook/*.html

You can either copy these onto floppy, or, if you're feeling
adventurous, you can install a Web browser from the ports
distribution, and view them under FreeBSD!

Good luck
James

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland