Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:10:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org
Subject:   Re: editor/nedit patching fails

On 31-Mar-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * I'll comply, but, in case I dod not make myself clear, I am buiding
> these
>  * packages under current, not stable.  My procedure is simple, ans I
> belive
>
> That's why I said "things like `patch' shouldn't be different" in the
> very part of my message you quoted.  By the way, you can check
> packages-current for the -current packages build by Justin and Co.,
> although they don't rebuild the packages as often as I do.

I still am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong, or how to improve myself
in this area.  Most packages I build work fine.  Some do not.  My system is
composed of a make world of cvsupp'ed sources.  So, if patch is the wrong
patch, what am I to do?  Do not assume my abilities, as I am, in this
excercise trying to evaluate what skill level is necessary to build an
internal release.

The O/S itself is very easy and very repeatable.
Documentation is a day by day thing.
Ports are very uneven.  I am trying to sort them out.

>  * If that fails, on my machine, and not on yours, does it prove the port
>  * be correct?
>
> So far it has only proven that you screwed up something. :>

Nope.  Not totally.  I had ONE case of a corrupt package.  This was
admitted and apologized for.

Here is the newest example:
devel/prc-tools;

Downloads, tells me the checksums are OK, starts compiling, and then:

cp ./config/m68k/palmos_link.ld pilot.ld
Testing libgcc1.  Ignore linker warning messages.
/xgcc -B./ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC   -O -pipe -I./include libgcc1-test.o
-o li
bgcc1-test  -nostartfiles -nostdlib `./xgcc -B./ --print-libgcc-file-name`
cc -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC   -O -pipe  -I. -I. -I./config  -o g++-cross
-DGCC_
NAME=\"`t='-e s,^,m68k-palmos-coff-,'; echo gcc | sed $t`\" ./cp/g++.c
version.o
 obstack.o ` case "cc" in "cc") echo "" ;; esac `
cc1: Invalid option `68000'
cc1: Invalid option `-Wno-multi-char-const'
*unknown*: Assembler messages:
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand 'm' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand 'n' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand 'm' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand '6' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand '8' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand '0' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand '0' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand '0' flag.
*unknown*:0: Warning: /usr/bin/as: I don't understand 'l' flag.
{standard input}:14: Error: invalid character '[' in first operand
{standard input}:16: Error: invalid character '@' in first operand
{standard input}:37: Error: invalid character '[' in first operand
{standard input}:39: Error: invalid character '@' in first operand
..

How am I screwing up here (other than trying to build the port)?

>  * The ``it works here'' is very useful, up to a point.
>
> It's all about the signal-to-noise ratio, you know. :)

Sure.  You can assume any signal to be noise.  OR extract signal from what
is noise.  I AM a noisy person, but I do emit some useful signals, at times
:-)

Now, shall I abandon trying to compile ports, or are ALL ports supposed to
build on any properly installed FreeBSD box (You have yet to show me where
my system is not properly installed (I'll give you a login to prove it.  If
you do, I'll buy you dinner next time I am in the BA).

Simon