Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:48:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        gustavo@ifour.com.br, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Asus A7V motherboard

> I am seeking a high quality motherboard to buy, my choice is: Asus A7V!
> (http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/socketa/a7v/spec.html)
>
> But some questions raised:
>
> 1. Does FreeBSD support Onboard Promise® PCI-ATA100 Controller?
> 2. This motherboard chipset supports 200MHZ FSB, does that mean any
> problem for freebsd?
> 3. Is anyone here running freebsd over it? How stable is it? And about
> performance?

Short answer is:
Nothing different from ASUS K7V except having a second IDE controller,
a Promise ATA-100.

Do not know what performance you are looking for. Again it is similar
to ASUS K7V on everything if you know K7V.

----

I do not know how other ATA-100 controller works. I haven't tried the
burst rate on this controller yet. The overall stream is as bad as the
ATA-66 controller. Below is the problem.

Two (2) WDC 100AA on two ATA-66 bus ----> 22.5 X 2 = 45 MBps
Four (4) WDC 100AA on two ATA-66 bus ----> 85 MBps (super)

Note the single drive rate that affects the entire IDE and PCI
performance:

WDC ATA-66 drive
One (1) WDC 450AA on one ATA-66 bus ----> 23.5	(selected drives)
Two (2) WDC 450AA on two ATA-66 bus ----> 23 X 2 = 46 MBps
Four (4) WDC 450AA on two ATA-66 bus ----> 66 MBps (OK)
Four (4) WDC 450AA on two ATA-66 bus and two ATA-100 ----> 85 MBps (OK)

One (1) WDC 450AA on one ATA-66 bus ----> 24.5	(selected drives)
Two (2) WDC 450AA on two ATA-66 bus ----> 23 X 2 = 46 MBps
Four (4) WDC 450AA on two ATA-66 bus ----> 10.8 * 4 = 43 MBps (???)

Maxtor ATA-100 drive
One (1) Maxtor 54089U8 on one IDE ATA-66 --> 29.5 MBps
Two (2) Maxtor 54089U8 on two IDE ATA-66 --> 29.5 X 2 = 59 MBps (OK)
Four (4) Maxtor 54089U8 on two IDE ATA-66 --> 9.5 X 4 = 38 MBps	(bad)

I do not believe that is disk drive problem because you may see the
selected WDC drive will make the bus behave differently.
I was luck that I had such WDC drives worked at 24 MBps boundary.
When the drive stream speed is slower than 24 MBps, the bus works well.
When the single drive stream rate higher than 24 MBps, the controller
has problem to arbitrate the bus between master and slave.