Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:52:10 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Anjali Kulkarni <anjali@indranetworks.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inet_aton

Mike Smith wrote:

> > I want to use the function inet_aton() in the kernel code. However, I =
> > found no kernel equivalent of this function int the freebsd sources. I =
> > could find inet_ntoa(), but not inet_aton(). Is it named by some other =
> > name or how can I locate it?
>
> If you are trying to parse an ascii internet address in the kernel,
> you're quite possibly making a bad design mistake - why is it still in
> text format?  If you're passing it in from another program, you should be
> passing a sockaddr struct.
>
> Failing that, you'll just have to steal the code from libc and bring it
> in yourself.

netgraph has a full ascii command parser built into it to allow arbitrary
decoding of command messages to as-yet unbuilt modules.
New modules supply a grammar to parser for commands they want to accept.
It's proved invaluable. it's possible to load a new module, and immediatly
control
it from the command line using the ngctl program, even though the
ngctl program knows nothing about the module.

It also knows about several special types including IP addresses
and MAC addresses.