Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:02:03 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Klaus Steden <klaus@compt.com>, "Dalin S. Owen" <dowen@nexusxi.com>, Laurence Brockman <laurence@fluxinc.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hiding OS name

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 12:52:44PM -0700, twig les wrote:
>=20
>=20
> --- Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> wrote:
> > (/usr/ports/security/portsentry I
> > down
> > tested
> > > A friend of mine runs portsentry configured to
> > blackhole every IP that
> > > attempts to connect to a port where no server is
> > running (in conjunction with
> > > a strict firewall); that can be done in FreeBSD
> > without using portsentry, via
> > > the blackhole sysctl MIBs. See blackhole(4).
> > >=20
> > > It's not a bad means to keep people out of your
> > machines.
> >=20
> > I know I'm going to regret posting in this thread,
> > but so be it :)
> >=20
> > Does your friend know that, unlikely as it is made
> > by modern ingress and
> > egress routing practices, IP spoofing is still not
> > quite ruled out?
> > Will your friend's portsentry setup happily
> > blackhole e.g. his ISP's
> > nameserver, or the root nameservers, or
> > www.cnn.com's IP addresses,
> > simply because somebody found a way to send a TCP
> > SYN packet with a
> > forged source address to e.g. your friend's
> > machine's port 3? :)
>=20
> Nah, they have an ignore file of IPs to never block.=20
> rude but simple and effective.

<personality class=3D"r_l_stevenson" char=3D"mr-hide">
Uhm... ok... excuse me for a second, I have to start a little loop on
several dozens of machines here; a simple loop, yeah, netblocks, that's
right; well, I know it will not get too far, but I could probably get in
a couple of thousand 'deny' rules into that firewall before they notice,
can't I now?  And if I start with the right netblocks, I could block
half his favorite sites in a couple of minutes..  Oh, a reboot?
Bother.. Okay, so I'll kill that in, say, a day, and start over again..

Oh hey, what's that badge that just fell outta yer pocket?  Look, man, I
gotta scramble, some cousin's probably having a baby right now or
something.. :P
</personality>

What, do you put half the Internet in that ignore file? :)

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org