Date:      Sun, 5 Jul 1998 06:12:28 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        witr@rwwa.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Loopback mounts (Was: Variant Link implementation)

#define quoting(Terry Lambert)
// > Note that AMD solves a similiar problem in different way. For
// > example, /usr/global/bin gets directed to the correct filesystem
// > based on the architecture/os.
//
// One issue with amd (which is only partially resolvable using the
// symlink generation on the mounted fs instead of loopback) is that
// loopback mounts via NFS are poison.  It is rather easy to hang
// every process using the loopback with a nice starvation deadlock
// when using it for programs for which the loopback is a swap store.

Is mount_null working ?  Last time I tried it paniced my machine
very often.  And mount_umap would be wonderful for some applications,
but the effects were even worse.

If they work, we could patch amd to use them IFF rhost==thishost.
AFAIK, Solaris has been doing this for a long time.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis            M.Sc. Student
jonny@jonny.eng.br                 Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro