Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:13:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mounting dos fs, mkdev

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Mark Ovens wrote:

> > Should I stick with a dos formatted floppy (how can I mount it?).
> As root ``mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt''

Ah...thanks Mark.  I was expecting something more arcane (like UnixWare
uses).  This is std for Linux as well.

> Mount DOS HD partitions as for floppy but replace ``fd0'' with the
> correct device, something like ``wd0s1a''

Thanks again - do you suppose Western Digital is pleased they get
free adverts?

> > 3)  Finally: I need to get my UUCP conf files happy with an
> > internal modem (com4 so it would be /dev/cuaa3...)  Of course I get
> > the `device not configured' complaint from cu...anyone able to point
> > me to a relevant HOWTO or URL?  I'm assuming I need to mkdev as sio3
> > is not found on boot diagnostics...
> >

> sio[23] are just disabled in the GENERIC kernel. ``-c'' at the boot
> prompt, then ``visual'' at the config prompt, <TAB> to the lower pane,
> expand the tree and enable sio[23], quit & save changes.

Whew!  Thanks alot for the comprehensive reply.

>   Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
>   was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Hmm...do you reckon this thinking accounts for the popular myth that
windows business apps should be stocked under `productivity'?
(I just love that dancing paperclip...)

Cheers,
Tom

    ----------- Sisters of Charity Medical Center ----------
                    Department of Psychiatry
                              ----
 Thomas Good, System Administrator            <tomg@q8.nrnet.org>
 North Richmond CMHC/Residential Services     Phone: 718-354-5528
 75 Vanderbilt Ave, Quarters 8                Fax:   718-354-5056
 Staten Island, NY   10304                    www.panix.com/~ugd
                              ----