Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:53:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question on iijppp & sendmail timing...

Why do this the hard way? This is what UUCP was made for. (Twice the
through put as well!)

-- Jay

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Jay L. West wrote:

->Here's the scenario:
->
->We setup a FreeBSD system for one of our customers at their site, connected
->to us via 33.6k dialup. The only purpose of the machine is for transferring
->email
->from/to that site and the internet through us (their ISP). The userid's are
->created
->on that machine on their end. Some of their users are PC's and use pc
->client
->software (Eudora, exchange, MSoft, etc) via POP3/SMNT. Others are terminal
->users who telnet to the machine and use a unix client package (Pine, elm,
->mail,
->etc.). They're using iijPPP to dial us and all is working well, but not
->timed as I
->wish. PPP is being started via 'ppp -auto providername' in /etc/rc.local.
->Sendmail
->is the MTA.
->
->Here's the problem:
->
->We wanted their system to call us every 20 minutes or so to send any
->outgoing mail and receive any incoming mail (via sendmail, BTW). When it
->calls
->we want it to send and/or receive, then immediately hangup. That's not
->what's happening. Periodically the system will call us at strange
->intervals,
->and stay on the line for about 1 hour before hanging up. There's no
->apparent
->traffic after the transfer, but the line stays up. I believe sendmail was
->started
->with 20m option.
->
->Question:
->
->The only possible way I could think of doing this is to not start iijppp
->with the
->-auto option, and not start sendmail at all. Then create a crontab entry
->for a
->script that runs every 20 minutes which first brings up iijppp, then starts
->a
->single run of sendmail, then stops ppp. There's got to be a better way of
->doing
->this. Any ideas? BTW - they don't use the connection for any other traffic
->web browsing, telnet, etc. - just mail.
->
->Thanks in advance!
->
->Jay West