Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:32:41 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NEC 260 CDROM detection under FreeBSD 4.0-RELESE/STABLE

At 16:02 17.04.00 +0700, you wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I've been using FreeBSD 3.4 for quite a while, and my CDROM, being quite
>old and weird (NEC 260 model) was detected by both BIOS and FreeBSD.
>
>Recently, I've decided to upgrade to FreeBSD 4.0, and also changed my
>motherboad, now it is ASUS TXP4, was latest version of award bios, and now
>it doesn't find my CDROM (I have two harddrives, both partitioned in
>dedicated mode, one (bootable for FreeBSD) is master with CDROM being
>slave on first contoller, another is singe/master on the second; I've
>tried moving them around, but it didn't help).  I've even tried attaching
>CDROM on my sound card's IDE conntector, still unsuccessfully).
>
>The reason why I am writing this, because when I boot Linux (from
>boot/rescue diskettes, for instance), it definitely does find my CDROM!
>
>Computer specs: genuine intel Pentium 200 MMX, 64M RAM, FreeBSD 4.0,
>NE2000-compatible non-PnP ISA NIC on irq 5, MM ISP 16 sound card (ISA
>non-PnP) on irq 11, USB IRQ 12, 2 coms, 1 lpt, s3 virge dx/gx on irq
>10, two floppy frives on irq 6.  I know most of this is useless, but
>still, maybe someone will notice some conflicts; I still doubt though.

Hi!

Well, could also be a problem with the UDMA modes. lots of non-UDMA capable
CD-ROM do not like being on the same port with a HDD that does UDMA and
have the mobo drive it with UDMA...

Also could be that the electronic is somwhat really weird (they were the
first, as ATAPI was quite a fresh thing) and may not behave standard way...
Some other SCSI Nec CD-ROMS also did not behaved well (3x-6x)

Regards
Olaf Hoyer
--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)