Date:      Mon, 06 May 2002 10:56:20 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Subject:   Re: ipfilter problem

> > I do following: I write all global rules at the top of the file/section,
> > in this case the 3 lines with "return-unr". Then I specialize in the next
> > lines using "quick" rules.
>
> that's a matter of style, not functionality. i can hardly see the
> improvements for a 10 line ruleset here. all entries are "quick", so
I do not use more rules as required. Usually I use as less as possible,
but sometimes it's better to duplicate sth. to improve readability.

> they get matched from top to bottom. the order of processing for
> non-quick rules is somewhat different (and affects processing speed,
> but that's not the issue here). having a flat matching strategy in a
> "personal firewall" style rule set is pretty intuitive, compared to
> "global"/"quick" mix'n'match or grouped sub rule sets, but hey, it's his
> dsl/isdn router and no rocket science...
I have several ethernet/DSL-routers and a ethernet / dedicated line firewall.
They all work fine, but I detected some problems with "keep state" when I
write some oppositional rules after another, f.e.

pass in quick on isp0 proto tcp from any to any port = 80 keep state
block in quick all

Because of the position of the dynamic added rule there seems sometimes problems...
I do not know exactly, I didn't wrote the ipfilter code, cause I'm not darren.
I can only tell, what expiriences I made.

block in all
pass in quick on isp0 proto tcp from any to any port = 80 keep state

Does the same as above, but it's really more intuitive (for me):
block in all except to (port 80/tcp [, ...]), they are ok.

> opposing to your apparent ideas, i implement firewall policies the
> following way:
> - as simple as possible
We all have our own way to understand, to write and to do.
> - documented
Me too.
> - structured by access groups/protocols/services, or both, or all three
As required if any changes should be made later ...
> - optimized for performance by rule groups, if applicable
I hope in that order!

> the main problem here might be that he just had _one_ line for _both_
> protocols, tcp and udp, which might lead to trouble in several points.
> that's a totally different thing.
I have this too, and there is no problem anywhere. Of course, it could be.
But I got the idea of changed position of dynamic rules inserting (could
be speed up permormance, AFAIK, depending on internal structures).

> > This works, if I do not write it after the 4th beer. But sometimes even then ;-)
>
> ...and makes things more complicated by sticking to different rule
> matching strategies in a set of 10 or some rules. i can see your point
> with the beer, but what do you do after the 8th one, being confronted
> with your own rulesets?
Reading is ok, understanding is ok (as long I can identify the letters :-)), but
nevertheless I will not write a ruleset to late and use without checking it
next morning.

Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W