Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:06:24 -0600
From:      "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin@zmanda.com>
To:        Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org, John Hein <jhein@symmetricom.com>
Subject:   Re: Unthreaded Perl linked to threaded libraries

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM, Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org> wrote:
> Can you try and rebuild perl so that it is still not threaded but linked
> with -pthread and friends? =C2=A0This would involve copying REINPLACE_CMD=
 bit
> under "if defined(WITH_THREADS)" verbatim to the "else" part, then doing
> make clean ; make install FORCE_PKG_REGISTER=3Dyes.

Thanks - that worked quite well!

Now, the larger question is how to support this in general.  I assume
that including the above instructions in the Amanda README is a
suboptimal solution!

John (copied) has suggested using a perl wrapper that adds
LD_PRELOAD=3D/lib/libthr.so, which seems to help.  Other options:

Build a private copy of Perl in the Amanda port, or make Amanda depend
on a special linked-with-threads perl port.

Figure out and fix the underlying issue that causes this condition to
hang (although it's not clear it's a bug).

What do you all think?  Are there other freebsd lists I should involve
in this question?

Dustin

--=20
Open Source Storage Engineer