Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:44:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cannot get more than 32 PTYs in 4.4-RELEASE

In my kernel, I have:

	maxusers	128

	pseudo-device	pty	128

In my /dev directory, I have used `sh MAKEDEV` to make all 256 /dev/pty
files.  They are all there, and all have correct major/minor numbers.  I
know I won't be using all 256 of them, but I just made them all anyway.

In /etc/ptys, I didn't change anything, because all 256 pty entries are
ALREADY in there:

# Pseudo Terminals
ttyp0	none		network
ttyp1	none		network
ttySu	none		network
ttySv	none		network

So those are all there.

I have used `sysctl -a | grep maxuser` to verify that maxusers is indeed
128.

BUT - if I log on via ssh and start screen, and start 31 new screen
windows, then nobody else can log on to the system - I cannot create any
more screen windows AND nobody else can ssh in - the machine has run out
of ptys.

I use `fstat` to inquire, and I am maxed out at exactly 32 ptys.

SO THE question is, why am I stuck at 32 ptys ?  I have done it all -
everything that is in any doc or news post, and everything I was told to
do here and on -hackers, and yet I am still stuck at 32 !!!

Please tell me the secret lore for getting more than 32 ptys in
4.4-RELEASE.

thanks,

PT