Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:40:40 +0530
From:      "Gautham Ganapathy" <xgautham@ti.com>
To:        "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD.org - Hackers" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Inserting a kernel module b/w IP and ethernet

On Monday, June 17, 2002 5:37 PM, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

> Gautham Ganapathy wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > How can I add an extra layer of processing b/w the IP and
> ethernet layers
> > using a kernel module ? If I load a module, I should be able to
> access the
> > functions exported by IP and ethernet. Also, I think the
> ethernet layer can
> > be configured to use my module as the protocol by patching
> ifconfig. Am I
> > right so far ? So, how do I get IP to use my module as it's
> link layer ? If
> > I am wrong, what's the proper way ? Or is there any other
> simpler way ? My
> > requirement is to add a compression layer (RFC 2507)
>
> Have you looked at netgraph(4)?

Thanx. i went throught the man page and i think it should be fine. is there
a tutorial available that I can download as a zip file ? my net access is
rather restricted except for mail.

also, is netgraph a new feature? I have started on Richard Stevens' tcpip
illus 2 and it does not have anything on netgraph. this book is for 4.4 BSD
Lite