Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 1996 09:44:43 -0400
From:      gwh@spiders.com (Gene W Homicki)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5R + GUS PnP Pro

Hey all,

	Is anyone running Amancio's sound driver
(ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/guspnp1.tar.gz) with 2.1.5-RELEASE and a
GUS PnP Pro?

I installed the guspnp package above, recompiled the kernel with the
options specified in the readme.  I did a 'MAKEDEV sd0' in /etc and
rebooted to the new kernel.

The card is recognized on booting, there don't appear to be any
conflicts (I'm running an ASUS motherboard, Triton chipset, 2 x NCR
SCSI, #9 Motion 771, Compex (DEC based) ethernet, so the GUS is the
only non-PCI card in the system), yet I see the following problems:

 - As a test, i tried playing a MOD file with s3mod (and with tracker)
   and with s3mod all I get is garbage...static, then random high
   pitch tones.
 - maplay either 1) doesn't play anything, giving no error, or 2)
   doesn't play anything, and locks up the system completely.
 - can a .au directly to /dev/audio will also lock up the system.
 - vat does not work (using the one specified in the guspnp README)
   even in loopback "tone" mode.

Various info attached below.  I'd rather not upgrade to and run
-current since I'd like this system to be pretty stable, but will run
-current if I have to.  If anyone has any insights, please let me know.

						--Gene

[tarantula][/dev](3)$ cat sndstat
VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha7-951119 (Mon Nov 20 14:38:12 EST 1995
Amancio Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)
Config options: 188090a

Installed drivers:
Type 4: Gravis Ultrasound

Card config:
Gravis Ultrasound at 0x220 irq 11 drq 1,3

Audio devices:
0: GUS MAX (CS4231) (DUPLEX)
1: Gravis UltraSound (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound MAX (512k)

Midi devices:
0: Gravis UltraSound Midi

Timers:
0: System clock
1: GUS

Mixers:
0: AD1848/CS4248/CS4231
1: Gravis Ultrasound

Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com
Objective Consulting, Inc.                    http://www.spiders.com/
Internet Presence Design                      voice: +1 914.353.3511