Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2013 00:01:52 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Uffner <tom@uffner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building seamonkey - possible clang bug

--Apple-Mail=_BF5A1F18-CC9C-4077-86AD-1E30CFDE6C5E

On Oct 8, 2013, at 19:11, Tom Uffner <tom@uffner.com> wrote:
> On Tue Oct 8 15:57:07 UTC 2013, Florian Smeets wrote:
> > You were out of swap space, that's why the compiler was killed.
>
> >> real memory  = 268435456 (256 MB)
> >> avail memory = 248418304 (236 MB)
>
> > This is not nearly enough, I don't recall what how much a non debug
> > build needs right now, but i think it was close to 2-3GB.
> > You could add more swap, but that's not going to make it any faster :)
>
> Thanks. I realize this. in my message I mentioned that the failure mode
> was running out of memory. and that I added swap. What I failed to include
> was that (including swap) i had 3/4 G of VM the 1st time, and a bit over
> 2 G on the 2nd try.
>
> Is 2GB still not enough to compile ns_core.c, or is something else wrong?

No, this is a clang bug.  With your .c file I can reproduce the problem:
it looks like clang's optimizer gets into an endless loop, or something
similar, and it eats up memory until it dies.

Since it turns out recent trunk versions do not exhibit this behavior, I
will attempt to figure out exactly where it was fixed. :-)

Meanwhile, as a workaround, you can lower the optimization level from
-O3 to -O2, that should allow the build to continue.

-Dimitry