Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:54:17 +0800
From:      lawrence.hy.cheung@philips.com
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: help about user graphical interface

FYI, after installing XFree86, don't forget to install window manager o=
r KDE from CD-ROM or from 'ports' tree.

If everything works, you may enable the XDM gui login by editing the fi=
le /etc/ttys. find a line with=20
"  ........    /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon  xterm  off secure " and ch=
ange the word "off" with "on", such as=20
"........    /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon xterm on secure"

For xdm GUI login properly, a executable startup script file called ".x=
session" MUST exists in the $HOME directory of every user.
You may simply copy the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc as ~/.xse=
ssion. Don't forget to put in your favourite window manager at the end =
of this file and make it executable ('chmod 740 .xsession').=20

Now, your FreeBSD will directly go  to X Window start from next boot.

Regards,
Lawrence H.Y. Cheung

P.S.  I suggest you install XFree86 from 'ports' if you need to run Net=
scape.

deadkarma@hotmail.com@SMTP@FreeBSD.ORG on 02/24/2000 01:02:30 PM
Sent by:	owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG