Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 19:20:03 -0800
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/866: pcvt causes console lockups

The following reply was made to PR kern/866; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To: Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 22:17:14 -0500 (EST)

 On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, J Wunsch wrote:

 > As Marc G. Fournier wrote:
 > >
 > > >How-To-Repeat:
 > >
 > > 	enable -t 300 for the screen saver
 >
 > I'm always using pcvt with the screen saver.  So this ``How-To-Repeat''
 > doesn't help...
 >
 > Can you determine what exactly is locking?  (E.g. by loggin in via
 > network or an async terminal.)  Most likely, it's the well-known

 	I have neither at my disposal :(

 > ``keyboard LEDs update'' problem that seems to happen on few
 > keyboards.
 >
 > Can you trigger the problem by rapidly switching vty's?

 	I can trigger the problem repeatedly by just rebooting and
 starting up vi ...

 	I hate to do it again, but I'm about to install a new drive,
 so will re-enable the flags during one of my reboots and try using
 vi again.

 	Below is my config file for my kernel...does anything in it
 look incorrect, or missing?

 Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
 scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc

 #
 # GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
 #
 #	GENERIC,v 1.45.2.3 1995/06/05 21:50:41 jkh Exp
 #

 machine		"i386"
 cpu		"I386_CPU"
 ident		hub
 maxusers	10

 #options		DODUMP
 options		JREMOD
 options		MATH_EMULATE		#Support for x87 emulation
 options		INET			#InterNETworking
 options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
 options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
 options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
 options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
 options		"SCSI_DELAY=15"		#Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI device
 options		BOUNCE_BUFFERS		#include support for DMA bounce buffers
 options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console

 config		kernel	root on wd0

 options		SYSVSHM
 options		SYSVSEM
 options		SYSVMSG

 controller	isa0
 #controller	pci0

 controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
 disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
 disk		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

 controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
 disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0
 disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

 #controller	ncr0
 controller	ahc0

 controller	aha0	at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq ? drq 5 vector ahaintr

 controller	scbus0

 device		sd0

 device		st0

 device		cd0	#Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

 # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
 #device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
 # Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
 device		vt0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
 options		"PCVT_FREEBSD=210"	# pcvt running on FreeBSD 2.1
 options 	PCVT_SCREENSAVER
 options		PCVT_PRETTYSCRNS
 #options		"PCVT_NSCREENS=7"
 #options		XSERVER			# include code for XFree86

 device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

 device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
 device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

 device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

 # Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
 # this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
 # Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
 # revision 1.20 of this file.
 #device de0

 pseudo-device	loop
 pseudo-device	ether