Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2009 17:16:47 +0000
From:      krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
To:        Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: chroot SSH users.

2009/12/27 Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>

> Hello people,
>

>  Im on FreeBSD 7.2-R P5
>

>  Its easy to chroot ftp users - adding users to /etc/ftpchroot -makes the
> job easy.
>

>  How about if I want to chroot the SSH users (not ftp)
>
>  any easy way? no need for jail installation or anything like this..
>

>  I saw sshd_config file and it has a chrootdirectory but not sure how to
> use it..
>

>  Anyone? any tips? any easy way?
>

>  Thank you
>

> -Marwan

fairly easy if you read the man page 8) I wrote this howto for sun boxes at
work but it was using openssh so same rules should apply. Make sure chroot
support was compiled in though

   1. Dont bother with sun ssh it wont work. Opensolaris and later solaris
   10 are bundled with openssh though.
   2. Make sure openssh version is 5 or above (some 4s do work but 5 better)
   3. Add these lines to sshd config

   Match Group sftponly
            ChrootDirectory /home/chroot/%u
            X11Forwarding no
            AllowTcpForwarding no
            ForceCommand internal-sftp

    4. Make sure the Subsystem line is this

   Subsystem       sftp    internal-sftp

    5. create the sftponly group on the system
   6. put the relevent users in this group. be careful as you will stop them
   being able to ssh in!!
   7. Dead important this bit !!!

   mkdir -p /home/chroot/<user>/home/<user>/.ssh
   chown -R root /home/chroot/<user>
   chown -R <user> /home/chroot/<user>
   ln -s /home/chroot/<user>/home/<user> /home/.

    8. Put their ssh keys in /home/chroot/<user>/home/<user>/.ssh

 All should now work

If not check /etc/shadow the account might be locked, this just caught me
out :)