Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 01:51:33 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015746694.bc6645@mired.org>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <freebsdruns@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stop errors in /usr/ports/foo/bar/bin/laden

Paul C. Boyle <freebsdruns@yahoo.com> types:
> My KDE is really going screwy so I am trying to use ports to get other things
> running for another X window manager.  Not gnome.    Probably Afterstep.
> I keep getting these stop in /usr/ports/foo/bar
> 			***Error code 1
>
> So the ports are not doing a very good job for me.
>
> I have tried to unravel some .tgz   packages, some work and some don't.
>
> Can someone point me in the direction for a good FM that give details on
> pkg_add

Well, the first thing you need to do is log the build process, and
trace back through it to find out what the problem *really* is. The
message you reported is just what make says when a command fails for
some reason. Gotta find the command that failed, and see what *it*
said.

> So please don't tell me to RTFM.

Will you settle for an RTFS? It's at
/usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install. No, I'm kidding - unless you can are a
fluent C programmer, don't look there, don't look there.

> So if you know of a good (tech) book that covers these things, as failing
> software installation.  Should all applications work under X.   I could not
> get Xroaches to run in KDE but it runs in Afterstep.

There isn't a good book that covers it as far as I know, because it's
not something that people have to worry about very often. A pkg is a
tar file with some magic files inside of it that tell the pkg_add
program how to do various things. Reading the pkg_* man pages is the
only documentation - other than the source - that I know of.

	<mike