Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:32:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM thinkpad 560E, after BIOS upgrade

After sending that off, I realized I had missed some pertinent
information:  I am running FreeBSD-CURRENT:

uname -a
FreeBSD sleipnir.watson.org 3.0-19981123-SNAP FreeBSD 3.0-19981123-SNAP
#4: Thu Dec 24 21:00:12 EST 1998
root@sleipnir.watson.org:/usr/tmp/execmon/sys/compile/TROJANHORSE  i386

with:

device          apm0    at isa? flags 0x31      # Advanced Power
Management

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
controller      card0
device          pcic0   at card?
device          pcic1   at card?
device          psm0    at isa? port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector
psmin
tr
options         PSM_HOOKAPM             #hook the APM resume event
options         PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND   #reset the device at the resume
event

And the standard sc0 prior to the recent innovations in console drivers.

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Robert Watson wrote:

> A little while ago, a friend of mine dropped my 560E notebook, so we
> returned it to IBM for repairs, which were thankfully under warranty
> (estimated repair cost: several hundred dollars :).  However, when they
> repaired it, they performed a BIOS upgrade on it.  Ever since then, APM
> has been acting up.  The specific behavior I observe is that everything
> goes fine unless the screen is powered down for some reason.  For example,
> during suspension or after a period of inactivity.  It used to be that the
> screen would power back up again, either from console or X windows, in the
> event that the notebook was woken up, or a mouse click occurred, etc.  Now
> the screen never powers back up.  While I use AccelX, I also observe the
> problem when not in X Windows, and disabling support for power management
> in XiG appears not to help.  I have not tried disabling apm support in the
> OS--given that it used to work, it would be great if it still did (I also
> like suspending my notebook :).  Does anyone have any pointers as to
> things I could try, or should I be contacting IBM and pleaing for a BIOS
> un-upgrade?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

>   Robert N Watson
>
> robert@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
> PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C
>
> Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
> TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
> SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/

  Robert N Watson