Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:40:44 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fpsetmask on sparc64

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> fpsetmask is not defined in <floatingpoint.h> or
> <machine/floatingpoint.h> on sparc64 (it is on i386):
[ ... ]
> Is this an omission, or are the ports wrong?

An OS abstracts the differences in underlying hardware, for the
benefit of the software it hosts.  If there is code that compiles
on FreeBSD for one platform, and does not compile on FreeBSD for
another, either the code is hardware-specific, or the OS is not
doing its job.

In this case, I believe the OS is not doing its job, according to
POSIX.

-- Terry