Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 23:06:00 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

In message <199510191930.PAA02590@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>If you choose to do so, and gratuitously break backwards compatibility
>with prior releases of FreeBSD as a result, that is inexcusable. If
>your own experience with xterm didn't teach you something about how
>important backwards compatibility is, then I will have no sympathy for
>you when 2.1 is released and people have problems.

What you count as "prior releases" is ONLY ONE INTERIM RELEASE:
2.0.5! 8859-1 locale isn't supported in 2.0 yet. 2.0.5 not treated
as full release, it is only short term solution, so please stop
talking about "prior releases" and of incredible amount of their
users who wants backward compatibility.

>> X must provide translation from valid XPG3 names to their
>> internal names.

>The X Consortium Sample Implementation provides translations for names
>that are used in released versions of operating systems. There is no
>requirement to do any more than that. As I indicated previously, when
>2.1 is real, I will consider adding your new names to the locale.alias
>file in the X Consortium Sample Implementation.

Well, sounds good.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -