Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 23:30:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   BTX + floppy = confusion

Here's one for the BTX hackers:

I have a Phoenix BIOS'd P90 at work running 3.0-981004-BETA with one IDE
disk and three SCSI disks.  System is on the IDE disk.  The BIOS won't
boot the disk directly (the fdisk table is probaly misgenerated, libdisk's
fault probably; it's the same box that reported the odd sysinstall/newfs
problems I reported earlier).  Normally I use a boot floppy wired to boot
wd(0,a)/kernel (like it helps, the machine won't reboot itself anyway).
I think the disk I was using was the -BETA install floppy.

For fun and games, I built an ELF kernel and built the BTX loader and
stuck it in /boot as directed.  I then booted from the floppy and told it
to load

wd(0,a)/boot/loader

Up pops the minikernel... good so far .. then it complains that
it couldn't identify the boot disk.  I hit a key to get the prompt, and
get dumped to

disk0a:>

(There's a comment in the btx loader code near the check that explains the
situation exactly, it starts with 'If we are booted by an old bootstrap,
we have to guess at the BIOS unit number.' Is there a new boot1/boot2 I
should feed to my floppy?)

Now the wacky stuff.

1.  Okay, no problem, I think.  I type

boot disk1a:/kernel

System starts, tries to mount root from fd0a and panics.

2.  After looking at the loader source and discovering the 'show' command
I try to change currdev and loaddev.  I can change currdev using 'set
currdev=disk1a:' but trying to change loaddev gives 'operation not
permitted'.  Hm, ok, I try starting the kernel with

boot /kernel

System boots, and I get dumped to single user complainig that 'mount:
/dev/wd0s1a: current device does not match mounted device.'

I'm stuck in a hole here since I can't convince the system that /dev/wd0a
== /dev/wd0s1a.

Okay, guys, go to it. :) Unless someone wants me to preserve the scene of
the crime I'm probably going to wipe it clean and install the 1006 BETA
tomorrow afternoon (PST) so I can get around this boot floppy silliness.
Then off to play with vinum. :)

Doug White