Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 22:29:31 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recycle bin for FreeBSD? :-)

so, Ryan Thompson shared in my lifetime thusly ...
> Michael P. Soulier wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:
>
> > On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 02:16:24AM +0000, Ryan Thompson wrote:

> > > Is anyone aware of any simple replacement for rm(1) that mimics the
> > > "trash" or "recycle" features of other OSes (i.e., moves the files to a
> > > safe area under the users control).
> >
> > TRASH='/pub/trashfolder'
> > function rm {
> >     mv $* $TRASH || echo "Failed to move to trash"
> > }
> >
> >     Or something along those lines.
>
> Yeah, already whipped up something like that. My question is whether to
> finish it, or find an existing one that works just as well.
>
> Thanks,
> - Ryan
>
> >     Mike

i remember reading a discussion about it; may be somewhere in
comp.unix* and the most common concern seemed to be as what will be the
right thing to do if first "safe-remove" was done on a file, say ~/foo.
then you create it again and for some reason safe-remove it.

of course, 2d concern was waste of space/inode given the above scenario.

does anybody know how windows and mac deal with the above situation?
keep duplicates in "trash" until disk space and/or inode are near
exhaustion?