Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 97 22:21:32 EDT
From:      bill@bilver.oau.org (Bill Vermillion)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving users in 2.1.7

Dan Busarow emitted this stream of bytes:

>On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Richard Brackett wrote:
>> Is it possible to manually duplicate users from one 2.1.7 box to
>>another running 2.2?  We are upgrading a system by installing new
>>verisions on a different box and would like to just copy the users
>>over without resorting to Kerberos or Radius.  I take it
>>that just copying /etc/passwd and /etc/group won't work.

>Copy /etc/master.passwd and then run pwd_mkdb on it.  /etc/group can
>just be copied over.

You can actually convert users from standard sys V systems with
a little bit of effort.  I just did that moving mail users from
an SGI Challenge into a FreeBSD which uses the shadow password
file.  If it were the old style password file it would be
easier.

Copy the files to the new box.
Strip the trailing passwd expire from the shadow so that
it basically is just    username:encyprtedpassd:

Edit the old password file and remove the first two columns.

Paste these together.

Then do a global change on the home directory location.

Add the two additional fields after the uid and gid.

Bring up the vipw and read this file in at the end.

Save it, and you are done.

It's a bit of work, but doable.   We got hit with a spammer
relaying through our site, and it was more prudent to bring up
the 8.8.7 on FreeBSD than try to add the 8.8.7 on the SGI.

--
Bill Vermillion - bill.vermillion@oau.org | bill@bilver.com