Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:52:59 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

On Oct 14, 12:01am, "Justin T. Gibbs" wrote:
} >} The drive will reinitialize to the 'power on state' if the power fluctuates
} >} into a zone that might invalidate it's run-time state.  It doesn't take a
} >} very long spike for the drive's power-glitch sensor to go off.  In this
} >} case, dropping cached contents on the floor is much safer than attempting
} >} to continue from an unknown state.
} >
} >If that's the reason for the problem that I saw, then the UPS the
} >system was plugged into wasn't sufficient to prevent the problem.
}
} Why is that?  Do you have gremlins walking around hitting the reset
} buttons on your machines?  The UPS should isolate the machine from
} any drop in power that would cause it to lose its brain other than
} that caused by a hardware failure or an administrator hitting the
} reset or power switch.

>From my point of view, I can cut the run time of something like
"make buildworld" by about 25 percent by turning on softupdates.
If I disable write caching on the drive, it increases the time
by about 1 percent, but I don't have to worry about filesystem
corruption caused by:

	gremlins hitting the reset button

	power glitches that cause the drive to forget uncommitted
	transactions

	firmware bugs that cause the drive to forget uncommitted
	transactions when the drive sees a SCSI reset

	the power supply fuse blowing

	the power cord getting knocked loose

	the UPS shutting down before the system does a clean shutdown

Having an UPS and wiring it so that the system does a clean shutdown
before the UPS shuts down is pretty desirable, but there are enough
other common failure modes that can result in a corrupted filesystem
if write caching is enabled that I don't feel it's worth the minimal
performance gain that I see.