Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:13:50 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        lewst <lewst@yahoo.com>, KEVLO@FreeBSD.ORG, FREEBSD-PORTS@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where is KDE 2.0.1 ?!?

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 04:25:21AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > For the love of christ man, why is it taking so long to
> > update the kde2 port?  KDE 2.0.1 has been out for 11 days now!
>
> Yes, and the port was updated four days ago. If one week's delay is
> not acceptable to you, then do it yourself. If nothing else, it may
> help you realize how much work it really is to make sure a port
> (especially one as large and complex as KDE) builds, installs and
> packages correctly.

Yes, and I'd like to further echo these sentiments by pointing out that
it took over 1,000 cpu hours and 150-200+ hours of my personal time to
maintain these ports over a 6-month period.  Please don't scream at
Kevin for being about a week behind when he is not paid to do this
job... unless you would like to spend about 6-12 hours or so downloading
/ compiling / testing / fixing PLISTs / testing again, etc yourself.

KDE is one of the behemoths of the ports tree and wears out even the
most tireless ports team members.  Next time, show some respect.  After
all, you are not doing a damn thing to help, either as far as $$ or time
or debugging goes.

Thanks.
--
wca