Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:00:30 +0100 (CET)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Mohamed Sridi <982BE635243@stud.alakhawayn.ma>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: help about user graphical interface

On 24-Feb-00 Mohamed Sridi wrote:

> hi,
> the problem that i have is that after i finish the installation of freebsd
>  i got only the prompt command line . so what can i do to have a
> (friendly)graphical user interface.

You have to install XFree86 (commonly called X-windows, though it actually
isn't). You may already have done so at the installation proper or you may use
/stand/sysinstall to add that distribution component.

Assuming you selected X when you installed your system it has to be configured.
You need to know at least what your graphics card type. 'XF86Setup' starts an
interactive _very slow_ GUI to allow you to select proper mouse and display as
well as your graphics card. Run the tabs from left to right and save your
settings. You can now use 'xvidtune' for finetuning the setup.

Somewhere in the process you should have been asked something like 'Do you want
me to make a link for X'. Answer yes! And start your X-session with 'startx'.

Now you probably also want to find another windowmanager. twm is small and I
use it on my old 386/40, but for 'serious' work use something else. KDE appears
to be very popular these days, though I personally can't abide it. I use icewm,
with dfm for filemanaging. The topic is enormous... You use /stand/sysinstall,
packages/x11-wm to install other windowmanagers.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail