Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 04:31:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, John Kelly wrote:

> If FreeBSD developers don't want their "volunteer" project to grow
> into a well funded organization, another group will come along who do.

I don't really understand the great furour involved in this
argument.

The number of donations to make any kind of "voting system" at
all meaningful simply does not and will not exist in the
reasonable future!

However, if some people would like to see NFS fixed at any and
all cost (that it's already getting attention beside the fact),
but are themselves only willing to pay $250 incremental, they
should band together through the lists and news.  If a group of
individuals and/or businesses can guarantee sufficient funds to
fully complete & fund such a project, I'm sure Jordan (on behalf
on FreeBSD inc.) will gladly take their money for that express
purpose, and if not Jordan, I'm sure someone else will.  But
please, FreeBSD Inc. is not a multi-million dollar operation (nor
will it be within the time-frame it should be planning for) and
offering donators a vote is akin to offering a promise which it
can never keep.  That is bad customer-relations, long-term
detrimental, and self-destructive.

That said, it is much easier for my conscience to let me make a
donation when I am guaranteed something in return.  Cheap FreeBSD
paraphenalia can be 1) way cool, and 2) cheap advertising to
attract new users.  Chuck brandishing his pitchfork out of the
heart of my computer over-top of a "Chuckie
Power!"^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HPowered by FreeBSD" embalm
would invoke spectator curiousity in FreeBSD and provide a few
meagre funds for FreeBSD.

[I think, though, anything more expensive than a Chu^H^H^Hpowered
by freebsd sticker should not be offered as a "thankyou" for
donating, but rather as a product which just happens to have an
unusually high mark-up :-].

> And they can easily take all the work done by the poor volunteers and
> call their own project BigBucksBSD or whatever they like.

Well, we could always call it FreeGPL ;-)  (Eeek!).

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names