Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 15:41:51 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mysterious xntpd

--==_Exmh_587078288P

If memory serves me right, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I'm trying to sync my clock with the timeservers out there, so i'm using
> ntpdate.  But i tried xntpd first, and now it seems like it is running
> every few minutes.  I noticed this when my ppp connection is down, it
> complains that it can't find any route to host.  I don't see a cron entry,
> but i can't seem to find the process that starts it.  Where else should i
> look?  /var/run shows it's pid, that's all i know.

xntpd is supposed to do that--it goes to sleep and wakes itself up every
so often, by itself.  It doesn't need a cron entry.  If you run ps and
grep for the PID, it should show up in the process table.

One caveat is that you can't run ntpdate if xntpd is running, since they
want to bind to the same priviledged UDP port.  Usually what you'd do is
to do a one-time adjustment with ntpdate first, then start up xntpd.
(This is what rc does, with the appropriate entries in rc.conf.)  The
reason for this is because xntpd won't run if the difference between the
reference clocks and the system clock is too big (I forget how big, but
it's measured in minutes).  ntpdate makes sure you're at least in the
right ballpark.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_587078288P

--==_Exmh_587078288P--