Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:51:22 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        Chojin <freebsd@tarakan-network.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipnat, ipf, ipfstat devices not configured

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Chojin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since  I recompiled my system and kernel (4.3-RELEASE) I can't use ipnat ipf
> and ipfstat:
>
> #ipnat
> /dev/ipnat: open: Device not configured
>
> #ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf.rules
> open device: Device not configured
> ioctl(SIOCIPFFL): Bad file descriptor
> open device: Device not configured
> 2:ioctl(add/insert rule): Bad file descriptor
> 3:ioctl(add/insert rule): Bad file descriptor

It seems you don't have IP Filter support in your kernel. The kernel options
are fine, maybe you recompiled the kernel but forgot to install it.

Do a 'dmesg | grep IP', a line like this should apear:

IP Filter: v3.4.16 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled

Try booting GENERIC and kldload ipl, to load IP Filter as a module.
I load ipf as a module, to keep it up to date with Darren's fixes. The upgrade
is easier.

Hope This helps.

				Fer