Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:46:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "D. Alex Neilson" <neilson@purple.nugate.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   4.0: what is stable?

I need to use FreeBSD for commercial purposes, but I'm seeing
contradictory information as to what is the most stable
version of 4.0 (URLs and details below).  In the online handbook, section
"18.2.2.3. Using FreeBSD-STABLE", it tells me to get a snapshot from
ftp://releng4.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ if I'm "installing a new system and
want it to be as stable as possible".  But when I read the README-40.TXT
file, I get "This release is aimed primarily at early-adopters...
and are willing to deal with a few bumps in the road...If you're more
interested in doing business with FreeBSD [go elsewhere]".

So, are snapshots "as stable as possible", or more cutting edge and
should be avoided for commercial purposes where reliability is
paramount?

Thanks,

Alex

   http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/current-stable.html#STABLE

   18.2.2.3. Using FreeBSD-STABLE

   2.  If you are installing a new system and want it to be as stable as
       possible, you can simply grab the latest dated branch snapshot from
       ftp://releng4.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ and install it like any
       other release.

-----------

   ftp://releng4.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/README-40.TXT

   TARGET AUDIENCE:
   This release is aimed primarily at early-adopters and the various
   other folks who want to get involved with the ongoing development
   of FreeBSD and are willing to deal with a few bumps in the road.
   {...}
   If you're more interested in doing
   business with FreeBSD than in playing with the cutting edge of
   technology, however, then 3.x or one of the 4.x releases,  is almost
   certainly your best bet.