Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:15:05 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Yimin Hsiao <yihsiao@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Several questions

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Yimin Hsiao wrote:

> Hi, guys,
> 	I guess I'm a newcomer to this UNIX OS.  I 've already run into
> several problems after I installed FreeBSD.  Can anyone help me with the
> following questions?  Thanx in advance.
>
> 1. How come It takes so long for the kernel to detect my harddrive in the
> boot up process?  It takes approximately 15 sec.  Is there anything wrong?

You didn't specify your configuration, but I'm assuming you're using IDE
drives. The time is spent probing for disks you *don't* have. You can
significantly shorten it by commenting out the lines for disks you don't
have (like wd2, wd3, etc.) in the kernel config file, rebuilding the
kernel, and rebooting. There's also somewhere a definition for the
timeout itself, but it keeps elluding my memory. Search the archives if
just commenting out unused disks doesn't help.

> 2. I tried installing doom from the CD I bought from Walnut Creek, and in
> the process, Linux Compatibility libraries were installed too as a
> dependency.  But I didn't have enough space on my / filesystem (I
> alloted 20 Megs, by the way, is that generally enough?) so some files
> that were supposed to be copied to / were't.  Later I made room on / but
> I can't install Linux Compatibility Library again: pkg_add says it's
> already installed (in fact it isn't; there are still some files that
> haven't been copied to /) and as I tried to delete the package and add
> it again, pkg_delete says the library wasn't installed so it can't
> delete it.  (Funny, isn't it?)  Does anyone know where pkg_add record
> that a package has been added?  I need to know that so I can just delete
> that entry and pkg_delete and pkg_add the package.

20MB is a bit tight, but certainly workable. What could be done is to set
up /compat as a link to, say, /usr/compat. This should work, and have you
compatibility libraries on the /usr filesystem. As for packages, did you
try pkg_delete -f ? If even that fails, you can take a look at /var/db/pkg.

> 3. I really hate the fact that the port collection does tell you how to
> start a program after it has been added to your system.  Some commonly
> known ones like emacs, pine, etc, of course, I have no problem with.
> But in general how can I find out what to type in the console to start a
> program?  Is there a readme file for each program in the ports
> collection that tells how to start the program after it has been
> installed?  (Last time I checked I couldn't find any)

Most of the time ports do have docs, but they are part of the original
distribution (not the port files itself). After you make the port, look
in the directory called "working" under the port directory. This
directory contains the original files (with the patches applied to them).
Somewhere under this directory you'll usually find all the docs the original
author of the software wrote.

> 4. Last question.  I want to have netscape for FreeBSD.  Does anyone know
> where to get it?

There's a port (in the ports collection), both for Netscape 3.02 (BSDI
version) and for 4.02b7 (the FreeBSD native version). Look under www.

> Thanx again for reading and answering the questions.  I'm looking forward
> to hearing your answers.

> Yimin Hsiao
> yihsiao@ucsd.edu

Nadav