Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 2003 09:23:58 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Change to sys_errlist

John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Matthew Emmerton wrote this message on Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 14:03 -0400:
> > This is a RFC on a change to sys_errlist for errno = 0.
[ ... ]
> This is not good.  This will just encourge more programers to not properly
> test return values.  Read man 2 errno says: "Successful calls never set
> errno;", so this depends upon the programmer initalizing errno to 0
> before they make their call.  If they are already so poor as to be
> calling perror, etc with errno 0, then I doubt that we can depend upon
> them initalizing errno to 0 and giving consistant results.

I was tempted to say something similar, but tried to take the high
road, instead, so that it didn't look like a gratuitous "different
than Linux" comment.

There are a lot of good reasons to *not* want to change the error
message to "Success" without playing the "be like Linux" card.  The
one you cite here is just another one.

In case it's not obvious... I'm agreeing with you.  8-).

-- Terry