Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:11:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@guardian.fortress.org>
To:        Jack Wenger <webmaster@deancare.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS can't resolve a single domain

This is a known problem with Firewall-1 (yes off-topic).
Your internal DNSes need to have translated addresses to the outside world
otherwise your will not function correctly.  I do not know "what" the
exact cause is, but this is a valid functional work-around.

See http://www.phoneboy.com for more info on Firewall-1

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Jack Wenger wrote:

> I can't resolve diginsite.com, or apple.com either. Also, my firewall is
> Checkpoint Firewall 1 v4 running on (yeecchhh) NT (damn politics). My
> (internal) DNS server is on an RS6000 running named and AIX. I'm using our
> providers name server for outside DNS querys. As far as logging, ndc
> doesn't exist on AIX. Anyone no of the equivalent? I am monitoring my
> firewall logs though and I don't see _any_ request traffic for these domains.
>

> At 12:27 PM 10/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >Can it resolve its dns servers? (DIGINSITE.COM)
> >
> >I had one client like that here - couldnt resolve for nothing, and it
> >turned out that the nic had put it on hold for non-payment - even though
> >whois didnt indicate it - the only other time was a hyphenated domain.
> >
> >On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Jack Wenger wrote:
> >
> >> This is a strange one. I'm running split DNS and my internal nameserver
> >> can't resolve one domain. The domain in question is baraboonational.com. I
> >> can resolve it outside of my firewall, but not inside. Everything else
> >> resolves. I've added the IP and host/domain name to a couple of
> >> workstations and they then can see the sight. Would someone who knows more
> >> about DNS please help me?
> >> Jack Wenger
> >> Internet Administrator
> >> Dean Health Plan
> >> Madison, WI
> >> 608-250-1237

> >> with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
> >

> Jack Wenger
> Internet Administrator
> Dean Health Plan
> Madison, WI
> 608-250-1237

Andrew Webster                              andrew@pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.        CF E8 16 B8 A6 DB E3 C9  83 E7 96 24 25 58 15 6E
P.O. Box 147       Cote Saint Luc, Quebec   H4V 2Y3
tel 514-990-5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514-990-9443