Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:33:28 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Driver

On Mon, Jan 19, 1998 at 07:49:53PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>>> 2) Would someone document *somewhere* what the hell is the syscon key code
>>> that's supposed to bring up the kernel debugger? I had to USTL for this.
>>
>> Heh heh.  How do you think stuff like this _gets_ documented?  Someone
>> like you finds that its not doc'd, gets really annoyed, then submits
>> his diffs to the handbook or FAQ in order to prevent others from
>> having to go through the same learning process - without that level
>> of general annoyance, it's unlikely that anyone else will document it. :-)
>
> I think there should be a console message about "type xxx to enter the
> kernel debugger" when the kernel debugger has been enabled.  This is
> better than a man page documentation, since the hotkey can be changed,
> and the only accurate information there is must be obtained from the
> kernel data segment.

That's a great idea.  While we're at it, how about messages about what
key combinations to use for switching VTs?  And what key combinations
to use to erase a character, send a SIGTERM, kill a line.  Yes, I know
that this often appears, but it's in a format that's confusing for a
lot of people.

And, of course, how about a message explaining how to log on?  Or that
you need to press "Enter" at the end of a line?  Or that you can find
most things in the man pages, and that the kernel debugger's
documented at http://www.lemis.com/handbook/handbook267.html#601?

Greg