Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 19:03:31 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUID-Directories patch

> if they're interested in checking out the work of the project (a
> SUID patch for Samba sites, for example) they just cruise on
> over to the project web page and grab the goods. People can also
> of course join projects, suggest projects, etc.

Sounds like a great initiative!

> I'm building the thing ontop of the PostgreSQL relational database,
> controlled competely from the web. I've got the design done, and I'm
> going to post it here next week for feedback. I've also got a good
> part of it coded up, I'm hoping it will be ready for public review
> within 2 weeks.

Great!  How is this going to be licensed?  Would you be interested in
working to integrate it with a commercial project?  (I'm out of time,
and I'm starting to get minor conscience problems for not having
given enough back to the projects I leech off yet).

> The only other thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the project
> database should actually maintain its own CVS tree of code from the
> various projects.. Initally at least, it will just contain hyperlinks
> to offsite project pages - it might be nice, however, if people could
> use the familiar CVSup interface to suck down a project they are
> interested in. This does become a maintanence hassle, however, since it
> implies that the project leaders have to check code in, blah, blah..
> It might discourage development, so my initial impression is to just
> point to web pages, or at the most have a mechanism to drop off and
> check out tar-balls integrated into the web interface.
> Thoughts?

I'd say a cvsup-service would be nice.  Not a central CVS repository -
just a service that collect the different repositories and provide
them as a central feed from somewhere with OK bandwidth.

Almost all projects I'm involved with run under CVS anyway;  I think
that would be true for a lot of other freeware projects, too.

Eivind.