Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:47:41 +0800
From:      Ihsan Junaidi <freebsd@synthexp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc initialization anomaly (some sections are being loaded twice)

I upgraded a test system running 5.1 to 5.2 RC1 and with it, i came upon
a few difficulties. firstly, the default login and su PAM configs are
(mis)configured so that they totally ignored the password. so each user
is able to login freely without being prompted for a password.

but the one i'm about to explain has been, thus far the most perplexing
to solve.

I've been getting weird behaviour from the rc init system, specifically
with it loading some sections of initization twice. i'm not sure if this
is intentional but it's annoying to see warning messages popped up and
they loaded just fine on 5.1.

my rc.conf is clean, no duplicate, so does my local rc.d,
/usr/local/etc/rc.d. i'm not well-versed in the rc architecture so i
hope you can forgive my lack of details. i attach together my dmesg -a
output, cut to the chase. the number of local daemons is cut down to one
since having all of them probably is needless. they started just fine
the first time round.

---
Firewall rules loaded, starting divert daemons:
.
net.inet.ip.fw.enable:
1
  ->
1

add net default: gateway 192.168.1.1
Additional routing options:
  IP gateway=YES
.
hw.bus.devctl_disable:
0
  ->
1

Mounting NFS file systems:
.
Starting syslogd.
Clearing /tmp.
ELF ldconfig path: /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/local/lib
a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout
Starting usbd.
Starting local daemons:
.
Configuring syscons:
  blanktime
.
Starting sshd.
Initial i386 initialization:
.
Additional ABI support:
.
Starting cron.
Local package initialization:
postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
.
Local package initialization:
postfix/postfix-script: fatal: the Postfix mail system is already running
.
Additional TCP options:
.
Additional TCP options:
.
route:
writing to routing socket
:
File exists
add net default: gateway 192.168.1.1: File exists
Additional routing options:
  IP gateway=YES
.
Starting moused:
.
Starting inetd.
Starting background file system checks in 60 seconds.

Wed Dec 24 04:22:56 MYT 2003