Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:51:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware destroyd. Any clues ?

> Well after about 30 seconds the computer locked. So i rebootet but nothing
> happened. Well the processor was damaged, i thought it was a coincidence. So
> i changed to an old Cpu wich was the one i ran FreeBSD on for awhile ago.
> Everything worked perfect until i got to almost the same spot. Then it
> locked the computer and also that Cpu was damaged. I thought it was just a
> coincidence again... But i left my computer at a computer store here where i
> live.

An operating system cannot damage a CPU.  If your CPUs are truely damaged
(and it isn't clear that this is the case), then you'll need to look for
a hardware problem on your system.  If the motherboard were damaged, it
_might_ be able to do this, in which case plugging another CPU would damage
it as well.

I have little trust for most computer stores.  They have an interest in
this case, since you may choose to buy replacement parts from them.

> Well belive it or not the same thing happend to them to!! So now are 3 cpus
> destroyed and thats not a coincidence!

<shakes head> And you feel these guys have a clue?  Tey chose to put a CPU in
a machine to see if it would be destroyed.

> I hope you can help me so i somehow can get new Cpus. But the guy at the
> store told me that the motherboard company wouldnt replace them cause the
> motherboard company isnt supporting FreeBSD. Its supporting Windows and
> novell applications....

... and how would they know you weren't running Windows?  Hardware is hardware,
if the motherboard is defective then they should help you out.

Jon Doran