Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:39:23 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        rootman <rootman@xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: UNIX TIP: DATE CHANGE SEPT 9TH

rootman wrote:

> The unix time() value becomes
> 10 digits for the first time on
> Sun Sep  9 01:46:40 2001
>
> For the first time in modern
> computer history, the timestamp
> will be something besides 9 digits.
> That could break things.

This would affect FreeBSD as well, but I don't think it's a big deal.
Every Unix program I have seen uses and stores the time in a time_t or
long int variable. It would be a big problem if some program decided to
store it in a 10 char string or something similar. There may be some
applications that are run on top of FreeBSD that might have a problem,
but I doubt FreeBSD itself will have a problem.

My opinion only. If you want to be sure, test it out before that date
arrives.

David

p.s. Sometime in 2038 we might have a big problem though...