Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 1997 19:21:25 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        FreeBSD Administrator <freebsd@workgrp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is the 'procfs' filesystem?

>Greetings fellow BSDers,
>
>I've inherited a small mail server that has recently started spewing out
>errors about full file systems and temporary write errors that has me
>baffled. The machine is running this version of FreeBSD, on a 486 system
>with a small IDE disk:
>bonkers: /kernel: FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #0: Wed Jul  5 20:22:26 PDT 1995
>
>All seems well, ie, mail flows in and out, but the console keeps displaying
>Mar 31 19:22:16 bonkers /kernel: uid 0 on /: file system full
>
>Trying to process the mail queue gives:
>bonkers: {78} sendmail -q
>mail.local: temporary file write error
>
>The only thing I can see is that the "procfs" file system is 100% full.
>Where the heck is this thing defined? Could this be the source of the
>problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

   No, that's not the problem. procfs will always be "full"...it's not a real
filesystem, just a special way to access process information via the
filesystem hierarchy.

>bonkers: {79} df
>Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>/dev/wd0a       24815    16201     6628    71%    /

   ...this is the problem. You need more space for /tmp and /var, which is
currently on your root filesystem. Probably the best thing to do would be to
move /var to your /usr filesystem and create a symlink from /var to /usr/var.
In any case, when you build the new system, you should make more space for
"/"...you really want at least 40MB. You should also create a seperate
filesystem for /var (and perhaps another for /tmp, too) that is at least 100MB
or so.

-DG

David Greenman