Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:17:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        droberts@gwis.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rdump fails between freebsd machines

we used to rdump between FreeBSD 2.2.7 machines all the time. I say
`used to' because we have upgraded to newer versions of FreeBSD a while back.

2.2.7-RELEASE shipped with a bad /usr/libexec/rshd. I assume that since
you can do rsh and rdumps from other platforms, you upgraded this daemon.

is there any messages on the tape machine's /var/log/messages? for example
failing "rmt" programs. since rsh of the same data seems to work, you
would think it would not be the tape drive, but for giggles, have you tried
to see if sending the data to the tape machine's /dev/null (or to a file on
the tape machine if you have a large enough filesystem) also does not work?

I would also watch the dump process with tcpdump maybe that can shed some
more clues on to what is happening on the network.

--mark.