Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:40:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        roman@atlas-design.net (Roman Katsnelson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sniffer

You can't sniff a network unless you can get into
promiscuous mode. And you can't get into promiscuous
mode if you don't add bpfilter to your kernel.

I would never use the Generic kernel on a machine, personally.

In a previous message, Roman Katsnelson said:
> Hey guys,
>
> Any ideas for a good traffic sniffer for 2.2.7? I've tried a few, but
> they all required rebuilding the kernel; and being that this is a custom
> kernel on a live and important web server I'd rather not have to do
> that. ;)
>
> Thanks as always,
> You're the best.
> Roman
> --
> Roman Katsnelson <-> romank@graphnet.com
> UNIX Engineer    <-> rk.graphnet.com
> Graphnet, Inc.   <-> www.graphnet.com

HOW CAN YOU TELL IF TWO ADULTS EATING DINNER AT A RESTAURANT ARE IN  LOVE?

"Romantic adults usually are all dressed up, so if they are just
 wearing jeans it might mean they used to go out or they just broke
 up."                                  --Sarah, age 9