Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:37:34 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mike Dewhirst <mike@dolphintime.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache-2.0.40 requires OpenSSL 0.9.6e or higher

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:29:42PM +0100, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
> Trying to make apache 2.0.40 I get:
>
> apache-2.0.40 requires OpenSSL 0.9.6e or higher
>
> I have upgraded openSSL to openssl-0.9.6g, but apache still won't make.
> Do I need to update some config file that still has the old version
> mentioned? Or can I tell apache's make to look somewhere else?

openssl-0.9.6e has been included in the base system for about a month
now.  If you're running 4-STABLE, try updating the base system.

Otherwise, you need to install the security/openssl port, and tell the
apache2 port Makefile to use the openssl stuff you've just installed:

    cd /usr/ports/www/apache2
    make OPENSSLBASE=/usr/local

That shouldn't be necessary, but the ports system is only set up to
distinguish between openssl being in the base system or not --- it
doesn't distinguish between openssl versions.

If you feel like a challenge and want to understand how this works,
take a look at /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk and search for the definition
of the OPENSSLBASE variable.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK