Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 13:36:37 -0500
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley-185-114.res.iastate.edu>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE support?

>Chris Csanady writes:
> > I know this is far fetched, but are there any plans for making
> > IDE on the alpha work in the near future?  I would really like to
>
>I'm sure it will get done eventually, but I don't think its at the top
>of anybody's list.  Doug?
>
> > play with FreeBSD/alpha, although all of our 164LX's only have IDE
> > disks.
>
>Hey.. will the SRM console boot off of an IDE drive on a 164LX?  I was
>pleasantly surprised to find that it will on a new miata (DPW500)

Yes, it will.  I have booted NetBSD on a 164LX with IDE in the past.
It was somewhat confused about the root device, but it still worked
fine.

> > Another thing--does anyone know if it is possible to get SRM on
> > the Samsung UX2 boards?  (Or even if their PCI is as horrible
> > broken as it is on the LX?)
>
>Based on a conversation at USENIX with somebody from Harddata, I don't
>think the SRM console will be available for the UX series.
>
>Ack! Are all LX boards horribly broken?  I was assuming they'd be like
>Miatas, and brand new boards would have a newer revision 21174..

As far as I can tell. :(  I just had a chance to play with the Rev C0
boards, and they still suck just as much.  I believe the C0 is the
latest rev, although I am not absolutely sure.

Chris